America's Historic Towns and Oldest Places
During our excursions visiting America's most historic towns and oldest places we have also uncovered some interesting random American history facts.
* The Battle of Gettysburg was not only the largest battle of the Civil War, it remains the largest battle ever fought in North America. Our team took a tour in the The Gettysburg National Military Park where the battle took place in July of 1863 with more than 40,000 casualties. Our team tour photos.
* America's (and the world's) first true penitentiary was the Eastern State Penitentiary built in 1829 in Philadelphia, PA. Today it is a museum that also hosts tours and special events. Our team tour photos of this building during our trip to Philadelphia.
* On October 31, 2020 a rare full moon was seen across America for the first time in 76 years. Our team photos of the event during our visit to Newport, Rhode Island.
* The Montauk Light was the first lighthouse in New York State, and is the fourth-oldest active lighthouse in America. See our photos of the lighthouse during our visit to Montauk, NY.
* Philadelphia, PA is where the U.S. Constitution was written and signed, in the Assembly Room of the Pennsylvania State House, now known as Independence Hall. This was the same place the Declaration of Independence was signed. View our interesting photos of the city of Philadelphia.
* Salem Maritime in Salem, Massachusetts is America's First National historic site which was established on March 17, 1938. See photos of Salem during our team's visit.
* Newport, the colonial capital of Rhode Island, was the first (of the 13) colony to declare its independence from England. See our amazing photos of Newport, Rhode Island.
* The state of New York has both the highest number of National Historic Landmarks and historical markers in America. In total New York state has 263 historical landmark sites and an estimated 1,000 historical markers. See photos of our New York excursions on the following pages Cooperstown, Sleepy Hollow, Montauk, Greenport, oldest road/highway, oldest sporting venue , oldest mail postal route , oldest hospital , oldest winery , oldest military base and notable mentions